RSS

Tag Archives: Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche KG.

Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Debut with Innovative Roof Concept – Market Launch for 2012 Video

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is doubling the driving fun to be had from the new 911 Carrera by putting a Cabriolet alongside the Coupé.

The debut of the new generation of the sports car classic is being followed only a few months later by the open-top models of the 911 Carrera and 911 Carrera S in the new 911 design.

What the Coupé began with the new aluminium-steel body, the Cabriolet continues with the all-new, unique hood: As a result, the typical 911 roof line is initially retained in its entirety.

Even when closed up, the Cabriolet cuts a fine figure. Intelligent lightweight design, even including the use of magnesium in the hood, ensures less weight and more sportiness, lower fuel consumption and greater comfort. With the open-top 911s as well, Porsche has managed to reverse the weight spiral and make the new Cabrio models significantly lighter than its predecessors.

Each of the two new Cabriolets has the same engine as its Carrera Coupé equivalent. The rear of the 911 Carrera Cabrio houses a 3.4-litre flat engine generating 350 hp (257 kW) of power driving the rear wheels through a seven-gear manual transmission. The open-top Carrera S comes with a 3.8-litre six-cylinder engine developing 400 hp (294 kW) and also a seven-gear manual transmission featured as standard.

That means that the open-top 911s as well are distancing themselves even further from the competition in terms of efficiency; both models consume less than ten litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (NEDC). The Cabriolets as well have the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) available as an optional extra, delivering even lower fuel consumption and shorter acceleration times.

With the longer wheelbase compared with the predecessor model, the wider front track and the new electro-mechanical power steering, the new Cabriolets offer even sportier driving characteristics, greater precision and agility. Depending on model, there are other standard or optional active control systems available as well that further enhance the driving dynamics.

The 911 Carrera Cabriolet will be launched in Germany on March 3, 2012. The prices for the 911 Carrera Cabriolet start in Germany with 100,532 Euros, the 911 Carrera S Cabriolet starts with 114,931 Euros including value-added tax in both cases.

SOURCE: Porsche AG Media database

 

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Go-ahead for the extension of the new R & D Porsche site in Weissach

Weissach R&D – Picture of site – (l.-r.): Walter Uhl, Chairman of Works Council of Porsche Weissach, Thomas Fritsch, Mayor of Mönsheim, Ursula Kreutel, Mayor of Weissach, Matthias Müller, Chairman of the Board of Management of Porsche AG, Wolfgang Hatz, Board member in charge of Research and Development of Porsche AG and Uwe Hück, Chairman of the Group Works Council of Porsche AG.

First cut of the spade in Weissach: start of extensive building work at the Development Centre

Stuttgart. With the symbolic first cut of the spade, Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, today heralded the start of the extension of its Research and Development Centre in Weissach (Baden-Württemberg).

Research and Development Centre in Weissach (Baden-Württemberg)

The site is being enlarged through the addition of a highly modern design studio, a high-tech wind tunnel and an electronics integration centre. Porsche is investing around 150 million euro in this respect. Matthias Müller, Chairman of the Board of Management, welcomed Ursula Kreutel, Mayor of Weissach, Thomas Fritsch, Mayor of Mönsheim, Roland Bernhard, Chief Executive of the Böblingen District, and Karl Röckinger, Chief Executive of the Enz District, at the groundbreaking ceremony.

Research and Development Centre in Weissach (Baden-Württemberg)

“The extension of our Development Centre is a good, far-sighted investment in the future of Porsche”, said Matthias Müller, Chairman of the Board of Management of Porsche AG. “The expansion being made by Porsche in Weissach also represents a clear commitment to Baden-Württemberg as an industrial location.

” Uwe Hück, Chairman of the Group Works Council, added: “These investments which we agreed in July 2010 to safeguard the site – ‘Independence through competitive advantage’ – will not only protect the jobs of our permanent staff, but will actually increase the number of permanent jobs. This will strengthen the independence of Porsche.”

Research and Development Centre in Weissach (Baden-Württemberg)

The new wind tunnel will also enable the Stuttgart-based sports car manufacturer to cope with technological challenges in vehicle development in future.

“Good aerodynamics make a major contribution towards low fuel consumption and high performance – both of which are important aspects in implementing Porsche Intelligent Performance”, said Wolfgang Hatz, Board member in charge of Research and Development of Porsche AG.

The new electronics integration centre will combine segments which were previously spread over several buildings.

“Our objective is also to continue developing electric and hybrid technology. We are creating the ideal conditions for attaining this objective with our new electronics integration centre”, added Hatz.

“Thanks to Porsche, we have the highest per capita trade tax revenue in the whole of Germany. The town will also profit from the extension of the Development Centre”, said Ursula Kreutel, Mayor of Weissach with confidence. Thomas Fritsch, Mayor of Mönsheim, agreed with his fellow Mayor: “Porsche is a great addition for the surrounding towns. We are therefore now all the more delighted with the extension of the Research Centre.”

Research and Development Centre in Weissach (Baden-Württemberg)

In addition to the extension of the site, Porsche is starting a wide-ranging human resources campaign. In the first six months of 2011, the company recruited well over 100 new engineers. Over 100 new employees will also be appointed by the end of 2011 in order to support the around 3,400 staff currently working in Weissach.

The new offices and the design studio will probably be ready for occupation in summer 2013. The wind tunnel will be completed in the first six months of 2014.

SOURCE: Porsche AG Media Database

Public Relations and Media
Corporate Press
Dirk Erat

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Le Mans Series, round 3 / Intercontinental Le Mans Cup, round 4 in Imola/Italy

Title defender takes up six hour race from third grid row

Stuttgart. At the wheel of the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR fielded by Felbermayr-Proton, Porsche works drivers Marc Lieb (Germany) and Richard Lietz (Austria) start from the third grid row of the GTE Pro class to tackle the six hour race in Imola on Sunday.

In qualifying for the third race of the Le Mans Series season at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, Richard Lietz posted the sixth fastest time.

“The car handled perfectly for that one fast lap,” he said. “I´m happy with the time, nothing else was possible today. Now let´s hope for a good race. We´re facing six hours of tough work so our motto can only be get a good start and then charge to the front.”

His works driver colleague Patrick Pilet (France) set the ninth fastest time in the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR of IMSA Performance Matmut, which he shares with Wolf Henzler (Germany).

“It wasn´t easy today. You can only turn two really fast laps in qualifying here,” he said. “My first lap was great, but in the second I encountered a lot of traffic and couldn´t improve. The car oversteered a lot, we´ll have to sort this out before the race.”

Directly behind him, Porsche works driver Marco Holzer (Germany) starts from tenth on the grid. His teammate in the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR fielded by ProSpeed Competition is Marc Goossens from Belgium.

“The qualifying began quite well,” said Marco Holzer. “But of all places in the very quick Turn 5 I encountered a slower car which held me up. Our car felt very good, the lap times were much quicker than during the free practice and that makes me feel more confident for the race.”

 

In the GTE Am class, in which only one professional driver is permitted to compete per car, Porsche works driver Patrick Long (USA) secured the third pole position for Porsche at the third race. Proton Competition´s Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, which he shares with Porsche Cup winner Gianluca Roda (Italy), is at last year´s technical specification as per the regulations.

Result Qualifying
GTE Pro class
1. Jörg Müller (D), BMW M3, 1:44.468 minutes
2. Dirk Werner (D), BMW M3, + 0.215 seconds behind
3. Jaime Melo (BR), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.223
4. Frédéric Makowiecki (F), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.257
5. Robert Bell (GB), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.262
6. Richard Lietz (A), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.427
9. Patrick Pilet (F), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.999
10. Marco Holzer (D), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 1.299

GTE Am class
1. Patrick Long (USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:45.650 minutes
2. Marco Cioci (I), Ferrari F430, + 0.256 seconds behind
3. Michele Rugolo (I), Ferrari F 430, + 0.569
4. Nicolas Armindo (F), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.633

The six hour race takes off at midday on Sunday, 3 July. TV station Eurosport 2 broadcasts the opening phase from 12.00 to 13.00 hours and then the last two hours of the race from 16.00 to 18.00 hours live.

The Le Mans Series

Contested for the first time in 2004, the Le Mans Series (LMS) is open for sports prototypes and GT vehicles.

The regulations are based on those of the Le Mans 24 hour race. Five six-hour races are contested this season throughout Europe.

GTE-Pro class: This most popular class amongst car manufacturers (previously known as the GT2 class) is traditionally the best supported: Slightly modified standard sports cars with up to 500 hp and a minimum weight of 1,245 kilograms.
GTE-Am class: Like the GTE-Pro, but with the 2010-vehicle specifications. Moreover, the regulations stipulate that each vehicle must have one professional driver at the most.
LMP1 class: Sports prototypes with up to 750 hp and a minimum weight of 900 kilograms.
LMP2 class: Sports prototypes with ca. 440 hp, GT-class homologated engines and a 825 kg minimum weight.
FLM class: Prototype brand trophy series for the ORECA FLM 09.

All race cars start together but are classified separately according to the class. Points are only allocated for placings in each class. Championship titles are awarded for drivers, manufacturers and teams in all five classes. Claiming the title in 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2010, Porsche works driver Marc Lieb is the most successful pilot in the series.

SOURCE: Porsche AG Media Database

Public Relations and Media
Motor and Sports Press

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

PCNA Unveils 911 GT3 Cup Racecar Livery for Carrera World Cup Race at Nurburgring

Porsche Cars North America Unveils 911 GT3 Cup Racecar Livery for Carrera World Cup Race at Nurburgring

Winning design created by Porsche Cars North America Intern

ATLANTA – June 23, 2011 – Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) intern Anna Frey designed the livery that will appear on a 911 GT3 Cup racecar the company will campaign in the Porsche Carrera World Cup Race this Saturday at Germany’s infamous Nürburgring race track.

“I am very excited my design was selected,” Frey says.  “I have loved cars since I started attending car shows with my father when I was growing up.  The opportunity to intern at Porsche has been very rewarding and exciting. And the thought of my design appearing on a Porsche race car in front of thousands of people – and 100 other Porsche race cars – is quite amazing!”

Frey, a recent graduate of Georgia Tech, in Atlanta, GA, majored in industrial design.  Her paint scheme was selected from four final contenders by PCNA employees and won out over several designs drafted by professionals.

Introducing the Porsche employee team, selected from submitted video and written essays detailing their motorsports passion, will be on hand to capture and share the insider’s view on what it takes to compete internationally, what it feels – and sounds – like from the driver’s seat and who’s who in the world of Porsche motorsports.

American Le Mans Series (ALMS) GTC Champion Melanie Snow has been chosen to pilot PCNA’s 911 GT3 Cup racecar and will be joined by six PCNA “pit crew” employees.

Melanie Snow

The inaugural Porsche Carrera World Cup race, which is held during the same weekend as the 39th ADAC 24 Hours of Nürburgring Race in Germany, June 25, 2011, will be documented by the team and will share all the off and on-track excitement on the “The Hub”, Porsche Cars North America’s new social media press site.

The Porsche employee team, selected from submitted video and written essays detailing their motorsports passion, will be on hand to capture and share the insider’s view on what it takes to compete internationally, what it feels – and sounds – like from the driver’s seat, and who’s who in the world of Porsche motorsports.

In addition to featuring photos and videos posted by the on-site Porsche employee team, “The Hub” will also serve as a Porsche motorsports history destination, including historic racing images from Porsche archives and Porsche motorsports milestones.

Lufthansa German Airlines is supporting the PCNA crew with logistics and air travel to and from Germany. “This racing endeavor is an exciting opportunity to showcase the relationship between these two iconic German brands,” said Nicola Lange, Director Marketing and Customer Relations The Americas, Lufthansa.  “Our Lufthansa team is incredibly enthusiastic to be a part of the team and support Melanie Snow and the Porsche Cars North America 911 Cup car effort at the Nürburgring.”

Introducing the Porsche employee team, selected from submitted video and written essays detailing their motorsports passion, will be on hand to capture and share the insider’s view on what it takes to compete internationally, what it feels – and sounds – like from the driver’s seat and who’s who in the world of Porsche motorsports.

Snow joins more than 100 participants from 25 countries on the starting grid at 10:30 am local time, at Germany’s legendary Nürburgring on June 25, she’ll not only have a unique ground support crew; she is slated to be the only female racer to compete in the Carrera World Cup.

For more information on the 911 GT3 Cup car visit:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/motorsport/racingcars/911gt3cup-997/

To follow the Porsche Employee Pit Crew visit:
http://press.porsche.com/the_hub/

About Porsche Cars North America

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga. is the exclusive U.S. importer of Porsche sports cars, the Cayenne SUV and Panamera Gran Turismo. Established in 1984, it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Porsche AG, which is headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, and employs approximately 220 people who provide parts, service, marketing and training for 195 dealers. They, in turn, work to provide Porsche customers with a best-in-class experience that is in keeping with the brand’s 63-year history and leadership in the advancement of vehicle performance, safety and efficiency. At the core of this success is Porsche’s proud racing heritage that boasts some 30,000 motorsport wins to date.

Source: Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Nick Twork
Manager, Product Communications

Dave Engelman
Media Relations Manager

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

PORSCHE NEWS: Winfried Kretschmann Baden-Württemberg’s New Prime Minister visits Porsche AG

Baden-Württemberg’s new prime minister in consultation with Stuttgart sports car manufacturer

Winfried Kretschmann Baden-Württemberg’s New Prime Minister & Matthias Müller, CEO of Dr. Ing hc F. Porsche AG Photo: Porsche AG Database

Stuttgart. Baden-Württemberg’s new prime minister Winfried Kretschmann is visiting at the invitation of Matthias Müller, CEO of Dr. Ing hc F. Porsche AG, the parent company of the sports car manufacturer in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen.

During an extensive tour of the production of the Porsche 911 and Boxster / Cayman, the Prime Minister also spoke with staff and trainees of the company.

Winfried Kretschmann Baden-Württemberg’s New Prime Minister & Matthias Müller, CEO of Dr. Ing hc F. Porsche AG Photo: Porsche AG Database

“This first exchange is a good start for an intense and above all constructive dialogue with the Prime Minister and his government,” said chief executive Mueller said: “I am confident that with the necessary understanding for each other together to further strengthen the automotive state of Baden- Württemberg and help expand its international significance.”

Winfried Kretschmann Baden-Württemberg’s New Prime Minister & Matthias Müller, CEO of Dr. Ing hc F. Porsche AG Photo: Porsche AG Database

Kretschmann Prime Minister said: “The visit to the Porsche AG was in a very harmonious atmosphere and gave me a deep insight into the company granted. Porsche is certainly one of the great success stories of our country.”

He was able to obtain get an idea of ​​the performance and the quality awareness of the company, said Kretschmann. With the Boxster with electric drive, which is now being implemented as a prototype, and with the first hybrid models Porsche show that even in the luxury segment more fuel efficient options are possible.

Winfried Kretschmann Baden-Württemberg’s New Prime Minister & Matthias Müller, CEO of Dr. Ing hc F. Porsche AG Photo: Porsche AG Database

“Porsche is right to build in the premium segment cars that use less fuel, thereby harming the environment less. I am firmly convinced that the company Porsche is overcome with his broad technical expertise, its highly qualified staff and its ability to innovate the new challenges,”said the Prime Minister.

Source: Porsche AG Database

Public Relations and Media
Corporate Press
Dirk Erat

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

PORSCHE 356 of the air a lavishly restored Pützer Elster B German Aircraft

Vintage aircraft campaigns for the Porsche Museum

It was the first German aircraft to be built in any significant numbers after the Second World War: a classic aircraft of the type “Pützer Elster B” has been extensively restored with the assistance of the Porsche Museum and will now have the mission of representing the museum at airshows as its “flying ambassador”.

There are close historic ties between the Porsche Museum and the “Elster” (magpie): the Porsche aeroengine Type 678 was tested in this aircraft type at the end of the 1950s. The engine of the Porsche 356 was used not only as a drive for the first German post-war sports car, but also the first German aircraft engine production.

After extensive restoration lasting three years under Project Manager and owner Jürgen Gassebner, a “Pützer Elster B” has been restored to its former splendor. The restorers invested over 1,000 hours in giving the flying machine a thorough overhaul. Particular attention was paid to reconditioning original parts as thoroughly as possible, to minimize the need for new parts.

Tradition of care in the air: vintage aircraft promotes the Porsche Museum

Stuttgart. Not only on land but also in the air, operates the museum of Dr. Ing hc F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, maintaining tradition.

A vintage aircraft of the type “Pützer Elster B” from 1963 and was extensively restored with Porsche support, and will continue to advertise as a “flying ambassador” for the museum.

Between the Porsche Museum and the “Magpie”, marked D-ElkY from 1963 is a close historical reference: Coinciding with the Porsche 356 was the “Magpie” is the first built in any significant quantity German engine aircraft after the Second World War.

Moreover, that aircraft type in 1957, the Porsche 678 type aircraft engine tested. This four-cylinder boxer engine was based on the drive of the Porsche 356 and was built in the late 50s to a whole aircraft engine program with launch services for up to 75 hp.

Ancestor of the aircraft type “Magpie” was the famous glider double Raab, “from which the aircraft maker Alfons Pützer with Fritz Raab, first developed the motor ship” Motor Raab, a little later – using the double-Raab-wings – after the prototype “Elster A to develop. ”

This was driven in 1957 by a strong 52 hp engine from the Porsche-type 678th Due to increased demands on the flight performance was the “Elster B” later the 95 horsepower Rolls-Royce Continental engine, type C-90 12 and 14 F. From this vintage aircraft that the KG Alfons Pützer constructed in 1957, are now only ten aircraft at LBA approved.

In the extensive, three-year long overhaul of the “magpie” the Restoration invested over 1,000 hours of work. Special emphasis was placed on work up original parts as possible to dispense with the installation of new parts as much as possible. Thus, in addition to the motor and the electronic equipment on board, called the avionics have been updated. Also received the wood airplane has a fully renovated interior and a proper overhaul of the cell, so the wings and the fuselage.

“Magpie” now with a new and classically modern painting: by the renowned Stuttgart designer Wolfgang Seidl developed design concept was quoted as traditional Porsche colors red, white and gray is the classic race car design from the 50s and 60s.

On the wings as well as the lettering on the fuselage has the Porsche Museum in the historical relationship between Porsche and the “Magpie” out.

In future, stationed in the Swabian Heubach Magpie D ElkY ” seen as a flying ambassador for the Porsche Museum at numerous vintage air shows. This museum pays tribute once again the engineering achievements of the company founder Professor Ferdinand Porsche. For over 100 years ago, he developed as Austro-Daimler chief designer in addition to automotive engines and aircraft engines successfully.

PICTURES: Porsche AG Database

Public Relations and Media
Porsche-Museum
Astrid Böttinger

As well as the engine, the electronic equipment on board – known as the avionics – was replaced. The wooden aircraft’s interior was also given full restoration treatment and the airframe, in other words the wings and fuselage, were expertly overhauled. The “Elster” also sports a modern, fresh design: the design concept created by renowned Stuttgart designer Wolfgang Seidl gives a nod to classic Porsche racing car design of the 1950s and 1960s in adopting the traditional Porsche colours red, white and grey. Both the wings and the fuselage itself are emblazoned with the Porsche Museum logo.

After three years of work the Puetzer Elster B D-ELKY took off for its first flight in Porsche colours and branding.

Economic miracle – the 356 runs like hot cakes.

Even in the automotive sector, where well-heeled in those days with the Porsche 356 at prices of around 12,000 .- Mark up can buy the first German sports car. And they do it diligently. The 356 sold like hot cakes, the known, and so roll this year, 4529 copies in Zuffenhausen assembly line.

Porsche is going really well, and Germany experiencing prosperity, at least in parts of the population. A simple employee earned in those days, however, only 250 marks a month. That will have a wife and family. As is to think of a Porsche 356 almost. While automobiles, the very front of 356, followed by VW beetles, Lloyds and other four-wheeled motorbikes with NSU as the Max and the streets of Regina Horex rule, must settle for a small minority of people with dreams. Dreams of flying with airplanes, which had in its extreme forms, the likes of North American P-51 Mustang, a Spitfire, a Messerschmitt Bf 109 or the previous decade brought so much suffering to the world. Memories of Icarus come to mind, the crash and the death sentence of the gods for his grip after the sun had.

Aircraft engines as a new business field for Porsche.

View details

So it is only plausible that where the Allies of Germany in the postwar period, almost everything – not only just flying. The Potsdam agreements seal 1945, the flight ban, which will consolidate the demilitarization of Germany. Only about six years after the war, at least, the construction and flying gliders allowed again. Only four years later, in 1955, with the Paris agreements Germany again to build aircraft engines and operate.

Sun in 1955, anything seems possible, especially at Porsche in Zuffenhausen and we quickly recognize that the four-cylinder boxer engine of the 356 is good not only for vehement propulsion in a sports car, but could also serve as a formidable power an aircraft. The slim, compact design makes it ideal Boxer almost to slip under a plane-Cowling, and then make the Porsche engineers are working the 356-engine flying to teach.

The starting point for the first engine of the 356 had been delivered by the Porsche design office in 1938 and 1940 designed VW boxer engine with central camshaft, push rods and valves arranged in parallel. A design that is improved over the 356-company is a success and has become a powerful drive.

From this moment on D-ELKY is the PORSCHE MUSEUM’s official flying ambassador.

Flying ambassador of the Porsche Museum.

At the meeting in the Swabian Heubach, restored over a period of three years and 1,000 hours Elster B hits with the serial number 32 from the year 1963 therefore, a Porsche 356 B Super 90 from 1963. Quite the contrast to the first, 40-hp 356 with 1.1-liter engine of 1951, so that already at least 185 km / h “peak” and Porsche-typical sports-car performance possible.

With a maximum speed of 180 mph and a cruising speed of 142 km / h at 75 percent power marks the Elster B, the perfect matching flying counterpart.

Much like the posh restored 356 B of the Porsche Museum exudes the luxury of its interior in the 50s and 60s. Stitched gray genuine leather combined with walnut wood and a lot of glittering chrome and polished aluminum. As noble a magpie B was never so at the time, but it was for basic training in the Air Force, the Air sports groups in the armed forces and the training and the glider tow was built in clubs.

The historical connection between Porsche and Pützer is to the restoration team can be here to give full attention to detail, and so every little part not only once or twice, but assessed as long review, and possibly obsolete and refurbished is met by the claim of the highest quality.

On 25 and 26 June 2011, Aerospace and Porsche fans will be at the air shows in Schwäbisch Hall in their element. Heubach fly out of the magpie, and some machines with PFM3200 Porsche engine in the association are to Schwäbisch Hall.

On the ground, the planes form an attractive display with Porsche automobiles. The range that extends from the center of Schwäbisch Gmünd PORSCHE vehicle provided while classic cars like the Porsche 356 Cabriolet to current models like the 911 GT3 RS. Also is the team of 9ELF Dutt’s Motorsport in the ADAC GT Masters race cars used by the 911 GT3 R with 480 hp.

Not only on land but also in the air, operates the Museum of Dr. Ing hc F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, maintaining tradition.

A vintage aircraft of the type “Pützer Elster B” from 1963 and was extensively restored with Porsche support, and will continue to advertise as a “flying ambassador” for the Porsche Museum.

Between the Porsche Museum and the “Magpie”, marked D-ElkY from 1963 is a close historical reference: Coinciding with the Porsche 356 was the “Magpie” is the first built in any significant quantity German engine aircraft after the Second World War.

Moreover, that aircraft type in 1957, the Porsche 678 type aircraft engine tested. This four-cylinder boxer engine was based on the drive of the Porsche 356 and was built in the late 50s to a whole aircraft engine program with launch services for up to 75 hp.

SOURCE: Jürgen Gassebner Elster Porsche Museum 

http://www.elster-porschemuseum.de/htm/historie.php

Since September 2010 the Puetzer Elster B D-ELKY is the PORSCHE MUSEUM’s official flying ambassador. Its design was transferred to 9ELF Team’s 911 GT3 R.

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

PORSCHE MUSEUM: 1 Million New Visitor Record Since Opening

 

One million visitors to the Porsche Museum

Stuttgart. The museum of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, has passed the million visitor mark just two and a half years after opening:

Today, museum director Achim Stejskal welcomed not just one, but 13 school children from India as jubilee guests. “We are very pleased to have been able to surprise these Indian boys and girls from Mumbai,” explained Achim Stejskal. “Almost 35 percent of our visitors are guests from other countries. Fascination for the Porsche brand and its history continues undiminished, all around the world.”

Museum director Achim Stejskal invited the class from Mumbai to take a look behind the scenes: In the museum workshop, which is not normally accessible to visitors, the school children were able to take a seat in a 1954 Porsche 550 Spyder. At the end of their visit, the young jubilee guests received a very special surprise: The Porsche Museum is to support their school project. The boys and girls construct a well in a village close to their school.

Since its opening on 31 January 2009, the Porsche Museum has provided more than 5,100 tours through the 5,600 m2 exhibition and hosted ten special exhibitions.

Many celebrities from all over the world, including Jerry Seinfeld, Paris Hilton, Jamiroquai, Robby Naish, Udo Lindenberg and Peter Maffay have also taken an interest in this historic vehicle collection on Porscheplatz.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Tickets sold to date would stretch a total of 150 km from Stuttgart to Lake Constance. Furthermore, since then more than 300 classics from the museum’s collection have been travelling the world as rolling brand ambassadors, attending historic racing and classic car events.

Whitsun sees the Porsche Museum opening exclusively for its visitors with the current special exhibition “Ferdinand Porsche – Pioneer of the Hybrid Drive” running until Whit Monday, 13 June 2011.

The Museum is open from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9 am to 6 pm. Entry costs € 8, € 4 for concessions. Children under the age of 14 go free when accompanied by an adult. Further information is available on the internet from www.porsche.com/museum.

SOURCE: Porsche Public Relations and Media Database
Porsche-Museum
Astrid Böttinger

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid celebrates historic 1st VICTORY at the Nurburgring May 28th, 2011

Basis for the first victory was certainly the lower consumption of the hybrid compared to the other cars.

At the fourth round of the VLN, the Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid celebrate the first victory – only two stops as the key to success

Less recharge, drive longer: this is the recipe for success of the enhanced Porsche 911 GT3 R hybrid.

With version 2.0, Porsche works driver Richard Lietz, Marco Holzer and Patrick Long drove in the fourth round of the Endurance Championship for the first victory of the hybrid race car from Weissach.

While almost all direct competitors stopped three times to refuel in the pits, the hybrid with just two stops, was victory and checkered flag for the Porsche hybrid.

The Porsche 911 GT3 RSR with  Manthey Porsche and works driver Marc Lieb, Romain Dumas and Lucas Luhr Manthey-pilot also came with two stops and made the Porsche double victory perfectly.

The second race of the 911 GT3 R hybrid in the Endurance Championship in 2011 is the successful completion of the intensive preparation for the 24-hour race Nürburgring 25-26. June.

“We are using the technical specifications of the vehicle and the reliability of the hybrid system extremely satisfied,” says Porsche head of motorsport Hartmut Kristen.

“We have over the competition a pit stop saving and go with less energy input from the outside similarly fast lap times. This is what we mean by Porsche Intelligent Performance. I am particularly pleased that even the 911 GT3 RSR by Manthey Racing the known efficiency of the Porsche 911 models could prove, and was number two. “

The focus of the development of the Porsche 911 GT3 R hybrid was clearly on the increase in efficiency. For this, the vehicle weight was reduced from 1,350 kg to 1,300, which even the hybrid components are involved. Their weight was reduced by 20 percent by direct optimization. The general hybrid layout was taken from the 2010 model.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The power used in the portal axle two electric motors has been increased from every 60 to 75 kilowatts. Overall, the pilot of the 911 GT3 R Hybrid 2.0 seconds, an additional capacity of around 200 horsepower, which corresponds to a lap on the Nordschleife of an additional conventional capacity of approximately 23 kW (32 hp). The electric power is automatically supplied as programmed when the accelerator pedal.

In addition, the pilot, the hybrid-electric auxiliary power to retrieve it manually, for example when overtaking. While the portal axle drives the front wheels, was the 4.0-liter, now 465 hp six-cylinder boxer engine that delivers its power to the rear axle, cut back in power, and optimized in terms of fuel consumption.

“We ran like clockwork with hybrid penalty,” said Marco Holzer.

“The key to success was now near the low fuel consumption and reliable technology that all drivers were on a uniformly high level of the road and have made no mistakes,” added teammate Richard Lietz.

A trouble-free race also went to the yellow-green Porsche 911 GT3 RSR of the Manthey team.

With seven seconds behind occupied Lieb, Luhr and Dumas in second place.

“This was an almost perfect race. Unfortunately, our 911 GT3 R, the cockpit I’ve shared with Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas, roughly by a competitor of the runway bowled,” said double starter Marc Lieb..

Oliver Hilger-Photo Porsche

Nürburgring Long Distance Championship
PHOTOS: Porsche AG Press

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

PORSCHE: 80 years of Porsche Designs – Porsche Engineering – Pioneering Technology and Trailblazing Innovations

Porsche Museum special exhibition
“Porsche Engineering – 80 years of Porsche design” Webspecial

For the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, the 80th anniversary of the Porsche engineering office founded in 1931 is one of the central themes of 2011.

From 7 July to 28 August 2011, the special exhibition “Porsche Engineering – 80 years of Porsche design” will be paying tribute to the most important and interesting third-party client developments of the past eight decades.

On display will be approximately 20 special exhibits extending from the development of entire vehicles via engines and gearboxes to remarkable industrial projects of the present day.

The ten third-party client vehicle developments include a 1931 vintage Wanderer saloon, the legendary Auto Union Grand Prix racing car and the Audi Sport Quattro S1 with the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) driven by Walter Röhrl.

         The Porsche Museum is open Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00p.m.

For further information please visit www.porsche.com/museum

Porsche Engineering - 80 years of Porsche contract development

On 25 April 1931 Ferdinand Porsche founded an engineering office called “Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Limited, construction and consulting for engine and automobile manufacturing” (Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung, Konstruktion und Beratung für Motoren- und Fahrzeugbau). Porsche Engineering, contract development by Porsche, thus dates back to the oldest predecessor company of today’s Porsche AG and for more than 80 years has developed customised solutions on behalf of automotive manufacturers and suppliers from the automotive industry, but also for other industrial companies from around the world.

Discover the milestones of Porsche history and join Porsche in taking on the challenges of the future.

History

History

ServiceService

Porsche MuseumSpecial exhibition Porsche Museum

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, has been the leading manufacturer of premium sports cars for more than six decades. However, the historic roots of the Porsche brand go back much further than that. When Ferry Porsche built the legendary Type 356 in 1948, he and his engineers were able to look back on a wealth of comprehensive technological experience.

Back on 25th April 1931, Ferdinand Porsche founded and registered a design bureau named “Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung, Konstruktion und Beratung für Motoren- und Fahrzeugbau” in Stuttgart.

Since then, the Porsche company has experienced many highs and lows and has grown from a small design bureau to a world famous manufacturer of sports and racing cars. This success story is based on decades of development experience, stretching far beyond just building sports cars. Over an 80 year period, Porsche has built up a reputation as one of the best known and multi-faceted engineering service providers in the world. The tradition of customer development started by Ferdinand Porsche in 1931 is still successfully continued today by Porsche Engineering Group GmbH, based in Weissach.

Porsche Engineering carries out development work on behalf of car manufacturers and suppliers, as well as companies from other sectors, combining the skills of Porsche as a series manufacturer, technology company and engineering service provider and making these available to third parties.

The 80th anniversary of the founding of the Porsche design bureau in 1931 is one of this year’s central themes for the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. From 21st June to 11th September 2011 the special exhibition entitled “Porsche Engineering – 80 Years of Porsche Designs” will honour the most important and interesting customer developments from the last eight decades. It will display around 20 special examples ranging from whole vehicle developments, through engines and gearboxes to extraordinary industrial projects in the present. The ten vehicle customer developments on display include a Wanderer Limousine from 1931, the legendary Auto Union Grand Prix racing car and the Audi Sport Quattro S1 with Porsche dual clutch gearbox (PDK). The Porsche Museum is open from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9 am to 6 pm. Further information is available on the internet from www.porsche.com/museum.

80 years of Porsche designs

80 years Pioneer Services

Discover the history of Porsche customer growth in the Webspecial.

For more than six decades, Dr. Ing. h.c. V. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, has enjoyed a reputation as a leading manufacturer of sporty premium cars. But the Porsche brand has much deeper historical roots. When Ferry Porsche built the legendary Type 356 in 1948, he and his engineers were able to draw on a comprehensive trove of technical experience.As long ago as 25 April 1931, Ferdinand Porsche had established an engineering office in Stuttgart under the name “Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung, Konstruktion und Beratung für Motoren- und Fahrzeugbau“, (“Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Ltd., Design and Consultancy Company for Engine and Vehicle Production”) and had it entered in the trade register.

Since then, the Porsche company has experienced many ups and downs and grown from a small engineering office into a manufacturer of sports and racing cars that is known throughout the world. This success story is based also on decades of development experience extending far beyond sports car construction. Over an eighty-year period, Porsche has acquired the reputation as one of the world’s most illustrious and versatile engineering service providers. The tradition begun by Ferdinand Porsche in 1931 of third-party client development has been successfully carried on to this very day by the Porsche Engineering Group GmbH with its headquarters in Weissach. Porsche Engineering develops on behalf of automotive manufacturers and suppliers but also for companies from other sectors, bundling the know-how of the manufacturer, technology company and engineering service provider that is Porsche and making this available to third parties.

Ferdinand Porsche the automotive designer

The name Porsche has been associated with pioneering innovations in automotive engineering since the beginning of the last century. Ferdinand Porsche had been busy designing and developing his first cars as far back as 1896. The first fruit of this endeavour was an electric vehicle known as the “Lohner-Porsche” driven by steered wheel hub motors that caused a sensation at the Paris World Exhibition in 1900. This was soon followed by ever more impressive proof of just how innovative Ferdinand Porsche was. A racing car boasting four wheel hub electric motors became the world’s first all-wheel drive passenger car, brilliant also for having four-wheel brakes. No less visionary was Ferdinand Porsche’s next idea: Again in 1900 he combined his battery-powered wheel hub drive with a petrol engine – the principle of the serial hybrid drive had been born.

With this first functional, full-hybrid car in the world, the “Semper Vivus” (“always alive”), Ferdinand Porsche had entered uncharted territory. In this vehicle, two generators twinned with petrol engines formed a single charging unit, simultaneously supplying electricity to wheel hub motors and batteries. As a full hybrid concept, the “Semper Vivus” was also able to cover longer distances purely on battery power until the combustion engine had to be engaged as a charging station. To save weight and create space for a petrol engine, Ferdinand Porsche used a comparatively small battery in the “Semper Vivus” with a mere 44 cells. In the middle of the vehicle he installed two water cooled 3.5 hp (2.6 kW) DeDion Bouton petrol engines for generating electricity, driving two generators, each producing 2.5 hp (1.84 kW). Both engines operated independently of one another, each delivering 20 amps with a voltage of 90 volts. The electricity generated by the dynamos initially flowed to the wheel hub motors, with the surplus power being forwarded to the batteries. An additional special side effect was that it was possible to use the generators as electric starter motors for the petrol engines by reversing the direction of rotation. Starting as far back as 1901 as the Lohner-Porsche “Mixte” and from 1906 onward as the “Mercedes Electrique”, Ferdinand Porsche brought his hybrid drive to the start of volume production.

 Ferdinand Porsche in the Lohner-Porsche

This was followed in 1906 by the next step in Ferdinand Porsche’s career. At the tender age of only 31 he landed the position of Technical Director at Austro Daimler in Wiener Neustadt, giving him product responsibility for one of Europe’s leading automotive companies. One of the greatest successes of this era was the so-called “Prinz-Heinrich Car”, in which the Austro-Daimler works team won the first three places in the 1910 running of the highly regarded Prinz-Heinrich Race. In the guise of the Austro-Daimler “Sascha”, he developed a small car which, thanks to its excellent power-to-weight ratio prevailed against its larger displacement competitors in the 1922 Targa Florio, notching up no fewer than 43 racing victories in total.

In 1923 Ferdinand Porsche moved to the Daimler engine company in Stuttgart-Untertürkheim as Technical Director. There, in addition to the Type 8/38 midsized model and the first eight cylinder engine Mercedes-Benz, the “Nürburg” Type 460, it was first and foremost the supercharged sports and racing cars that further consolidated his worldwide reputation as an automotive designer. The sports and racing cars developed under his guidance with the abbreviations “S” (Sport), “SS” (Super Sport) and “SSK” (Super Sport Kurz, or short) ranked among the most coveted cars of their time. In January 1929 he left Daimler-Benz AG. Following a short interlude at the Austrian Steyr works, at the end of 1930 he returned to Stuttgart and opened an engineering office.

[x]

Ferdinand Porsche at the office

The founding of the Porsche engineering office

The “Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung, Konstruktion und Beratung für Motoren- und Fahrzeugbau“ was entered in the Stuttgart trade register on 25 April 1921, at the height of the world economic crisis. In addition to Ferdinand Porsche, who contributed 24,000 Reichsmarks to the limited company’s share capital, his son-in-law Anton Piëch and Adolf Rosenberger also invested 3,000 Reichsmarks each as executive partners. From the outset, the work undertaken by the initial twelve strong team around Ferdinand Porsche spanned the entire gamut of motor vehicle technology. Legendary cars such as the Auto Union Grand Prix racing car or the Volkswagen “Beetle” were to emerge from this Stuttgart engineering office in the years that followed. Porsche’s workplace progressed to be one of the most important seedbeds of automotive technology, at the same time preparing the ground for mass car ownership in Germany.

As early as 1931, Porsche designed a six cylinder average mid-size saloon for the Chemnitz car manufacturer Wanderer as well as a new in-line eight cylinder engine. This was followed by a swing axle for the Horch-Werke in Zwickau and an air-cooled five-cylinder radial engine designed for the Phänomen-Werke in Zittau, intended for use in trucks. In addition, the engineering office developed a small car for Zündapp GmbH, which with its rear-engine, rigid tubular backbone chassis and transmission mounted forward of the rear axle was to prove to be decisive for the Volkswagen that came later. The torsion bar suspension patented on 10 August 1931 and used in international automotive manufacturing over many decades is also held to be a milestone in automotive history.

In the spring of 1933, Ferdinand Porsche was commissioned by Auto Union in Saxony to develop the Grand Prix racing car. The moment the contract was signed, the Porsche team led by senior engineer Karl Rabe began work on the Auto Union P racing car (P for Porsche), configured as a mid-engined vehicle. The first test drives took place as early as November 1933 and in the very first racing season in 1934 this vehicle set three world records and won three international Grand Prix races in addition to several hill climb races. Between 1934 and 1939, with drivers such as Bernd Rosemeyer, Hans Stuck or Tazio Nuvolari, the constantly refined Auto Union racing car became one of the most successful pre-war era racing cars . Its technical mid-engine concept proved to be a trendsetter for all modern racing cars and is used to this very day in Formula One.

In addition to developing racing cars, the engineering office had been equally hard at work since 1933 on the design of a low-cost small car commissioned by the NSU works – an idea that was also exercising other car designers such as Belá Barényi or Hans Ledwinka against the backdrop of the world economic crisis. When Ferdinand Porsche began work on designing the Type 32 compact car, this was already the seventh small car design of his career. A number of prototypes of this vehicle type were built, which with the air-cooled, flat-four, rear-mounted engine and Porsche torsion bar suspension exhibited distinct similarities with the later Volkswagen Beetle. The “Memorandum on the construction of a German people’s car” (Volkswagen) that he presented to the Reich Transport Ministry on 17 January 1943 was to prove critical to the breakthrough of the small car concept. Shortly thereafter, on 22 June 1934, he received the official order from the RDA, the “Reichsverband der Deutschen Automobilindustrie” (German Reich Automobile Industry Association) to design and build Volkswagen prototypes that were assembled in the garage of his Porsche villa in the north of Stuttgart in 1935.

[x]

Ferdinand Porsche and Auto Union GP

Contrary to the initial idea of having the Volkswagen built jointly by Germany’s car manufacturers, the Reich government decided in 1936 to build an independent Volkswagen plant, the planning of which was entrusted to Dr Ferdinand Porsche. Since the incorporation of the “Gesellschaft zur Vorbereitung des Deutschen Volkswagens mbH” (Gezuvor) in May 1937, a company established to pave the way for the construction of the German “people’s car”, Porsche, as one of three Managing Directors, was officially responsible for technology and the planning of the future Volkswagen plant and, accompanied by his son Ferry, travelled to the United States of America to find out about modern production methods.

In addition to the Volkswagen project, the Porsche engineering office, located in the Zuffenhausen district of Stuttgart since 1938, was working on numerous other development contracts from the automotive industry. For Daimler-Benz AG work included the development of technical engine components for the Mercedes “silver arrows” between 1937 and 1939 as well as the design of the Type 80 high-speed car for an attempt on the land speed record. The Type 110 compact agricultural tractor with an air-cooled two cylinder engine, developed for the “Deutsche Arbeitsfront” (German Labour Front) (DAF), was the model for the later “People’s Tractor” and the Porsche diesel tractor produced after the Second World War.

In 1938 the Volkswagen works awarded the Porsche engineering office the contract to develop a racing car based on the Volkswagen Type 60, which was to take its place on the grid for a planned long distance race from Berlin to Rome as a promotional stunt for the “KdF car” (“Strength through Joy” car). By the spring of 1939, the Porsche engineers had developed three sports car coupés under the in-house designation Type 64, for the “Non-stop speed endurance test” scheduled for September. As much of the more than 1500 kilometre long race was to be on the new motorways, particular attention was lavished on the vehicle’s aerodynamics. With a sleek streamlined aluminium body, shrouded wheel wells and a modified VW horizontally opposed engine, the would-be record-breaking car, weighing a mere 600 kg, topped 140 km/h (87 mph). When the outbreak of the Second World War prevented the race from being held, the Porsche engineering office used the completed sports cars as fast touring cars, achieving average speeds in excess of 130 km/h (81 mph) on long business trips.

[x]

After the outbreak of the Second World War, other types of vehicle were spun off from the Volkswagen for military use. In addition to the Type 81 “VW Kastenwagen” the company, trading as Porsche KG since the end of 1937, developed the Type 62 “KdF off-road vehicle”, the Type 82, known as the “VW Kübelwagen” and the all-wheel drive Type 87 and Type 166 “VW Schwimmwagen” amphibious vehicle, among others. At the end of 1939, the Army’s Armaments Office also awarded the Porsche engineering office the development contract for a medium tank, the design of which however was temporarily shelved owing to the need for heavier types of tank. Initially employed by the Armaments Ministry as a consultant, Ferdinand Porsche headed the Tank Commission from 1941 to 1943. In 1942 Ferdinand Porsche received the contract to design a super heavy tank, the Type 205 “Maus” (Mouse), of which only two prototypes were ever built, however, and never saw action. During the war, development of the military derivatives of the Volkswagen as well as various tank prototypes – including the involvement of prisoners of war employed as forced labourers – took place predominantly in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. With the intensification in bombing raids, the Porsche KG engineering office, classified as important to the war effort, was relocated in autumn 1944 from Stuttgart to Gmünd in Carinthia, Austria.

New beginning with third-party client development and sports car construction

With the war over, the Porsche engineering office in its new home in Austria strove to attract new contracts from the automotive sector. But initially it was water turbines, cable winches, ski lifts, mowing bars and various types of tractor based on the “People’s Tractor” that were developed and for the first time also sold under the Porsche name. The most important customer in the early post-war years was the Italian company Cisitalia, whose car enthusiast owner Piero Dusio awarded numerous design contracts at the end of 1946. In addition to a tractor and water turbine, Dusio ordered a mid-engine sports car with hydraulic torque converter and a Grand Prix racing car. The upshot was the Type 360 “Cisitalia” completed in 1948, which technically was far ahead of its time on many counts. Unlike the front-engine Formula One racing cars of the post war year, which for the most part still featured rigid axles, the Type 360 was designed with a mid-engine layout. The suspension featured double trailing arms on the front axle, the rear axle being configured as a double-joint swing axle with torsion bar suspension. In terms of drive train, the single-seater featured a 385 hp (283 kW) 12-cylinder engine with compressor, achieving a maximum engine speed of 10,600 rpm. The 1.5 litre boxer engine’s four camshafts were driven by bevel shafts. The synchronised five-speed transmission – as with the gear change on a motorbike – could be operated with just two gearshift levels via a dog clutch. Thanks to the experience with the Auto Union P-racing car, there was an awareness of the traction problems with the narrow racing tyres that were customary at the time. Power transmission was therefore by means of all-wheel drive that could be activated by the driver if required. But financial difficulties affecting the client Cisitalia prevented the Type 360 from taking part in Grand Prix races.

In July 1947, independent design work began on the Type 356 “VW sports car”. The design concepts became reality in the first half of 1948 under the in-house design number 356 based on earlier designs such as the Volkswagen or Type 64 “Berlin-Rome car”. Once the chassis had completed its maiden drive in February, the finished prototype with the chassis number 356-001 received one-off approval by the State Government of Carinthia. The Porsche sports car brand had been born. Production of the rear-engined coupé and convertible versions of the Porsche Type 356/2 started in the second half of 1948. Series production of this sports car began after the return to Stuttgart in 1950, approximately 78,000 vehicles being built by 1965. The successor model, the Porsche 911, finally helped the company to make the breakthrough as one of the technically and stylistically leading sports car manufacturers in the world.

From the Weissach Engineering Office to the Weissach Development Centre

Despite the successful entry into vehicle manufacturing, third-party client development commissions remained a firm fixture in the then Porsche KG’s service portfolio. The most important client right into the 1970s was Volkswagen AG, with whom there had been an extensive cooperation agreement. Numerous detailed improvements were devised for the VW “Beetle”, which was produced in Wolfsburg in exchange for payment to Porsche of a licence fee of approximately DM 5 per vehicle. Porsche was also involved in developing the successor models for the successful Beetle. The Stuttgart-based company developed numerous prototypes on behalf of the Volkswagen Group, which were to prove groundbreaking for the Wolfsburg Group’s passenger vehicle programme. The best-known contract developments were the VW Porsche 914 unveiled in the autumn of 1969 and the Porsche 924 built in response to Volkswagen development contract EA 425.

In addition to the numerous orders for the Volkswagen Group, Porsche’s third party client development engineers developed numerous other innovations for domestic and foreign clients in the 1950s and 1960s. Porsche developed the amphibious all-wheel-drive Type 597 Jagdwagen vehicle in response to a Bundeswehr invitation to tender. Although the Jagdwagen proved to be technically superior, the contract was awarded to car and motorcycle manufacturer DKW for labour market reasons. Overseas customers as well, such as the Studebaker Corporation, put their faith in Porsche KG’s experience. Between 1952 and 1954, the Stuttgart-based sports car manufacturer developed a four-door saloon with self-supporting body and modern ponton design for the American carmaker.

In 1971, Porsche’s Development Division with its Construction, Testing and Design Departments relocated to the newly constructed Development Centre in Weissach, 25 kilometres to the north-west of Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. Ferry Porsche had already had a so-called “skid pad” built there 10 years earlier, which had been used ever since for conducting suspension tests. In addition to a large test track, the 1970s and 1980s saw the building of high-spec installations such as wind tunnel, crash facility, emissions testing centre and a wealth of engine test rigs that are available for third-party contracts and in-house developments alike. The Development Centre spanned virtually all areas of civil and military engine technology. Large orders from the German Army were also handled as were future automotive studies for the Federal Ministry of Research and Technology. The client portfolio was recruited from virtually the whole of the world’s automotive industry, which drew on Porsche’s know-how for its own vehicle programmes, from detailed technical solutions to entire vehicles.

Industrial projects and series development

Breaking new ground is a tradition with Porsche’s third-party client development. For example, in the early 80s, Weissach engineers and aircraft manufacturer Airbus joined forces to design a cockpit layout for wide-bodied aircraft, setting a trend by using displays in place of the conventional analog instruments. The project sought to achieve discernible improvements for the pilots’ working environment through optimised styling.

Another major project was the “TAG Turbo made by Porsche” engine developed for the British McLaren International racing team, with the aim of causing a sensation at the very pinnacle of motor sport. Unveiled in the summer of 1983, the 1.5 litre, six-cylinder turbocharged engine dominated Formula One, with 25 Grand Prix victories and three world championship titles between 1984 and 1986. The secret of the Formula One high-performance engine’s success lay in marrying the turbocharger technology with an electronic engine management system. As a consequence, the racing car’s fuel consumption was particularly economical, which critically influenced the racing strategy

A milestone in the development of vehicles for industry was the beginning of the tie-in with Linde Material Handling, which continues successfully to this very day. Having already designed slewing gears and chain drives for Linde, in the 1980s the sports car manufacturer Porsche was retained to design a new generation of forklift trucks. In addition to the functional design of the machine, the Porsche engineers paid particular attention to developing a new ergonomically designed driver workstation concept. The symbiosis of technology and aesthetics also proved beneficial to sales: Sales of the stylistically distinctive Linde forklift trucks increased by approximately 15 per cent in the mid-1980s. In addition to steering axles and lifting masts for every conceivable forklift truck weight class, an electric forklift truck model line was also jointly developed with Porsche to the point of market launch. The Porsche styling of Linde’s conveyor systems has since become an award-winning trademark. For example, the Linde T20 pallet truck received the coveted “Red Dot Award for Product Design” from the prestigious North Rhine Westphalia design centre.

[x]

Linde forklift truck

But Porsche Engineering also regularly worked for other carmakers. From 1990 onwards, Porsche’s third-party client development team worked for Daimler-Benz AG on the design and test aspects of a W 124 production saloon fitted with the 5 litre, V8 four-valve M 119 engine. The result was impressive performance. With the four-speed automatic transmission fitted as standard, the Mercedes-Benz 500 E reached the 100 km/h mark (62 mph) in only 5.9 seconds with the top speed electronically limited to 250 km/h (156 mph). In the process, the contract far exceeded the usual development activities. Series production together with the assembly of the body shell and final assembly took place at Porsche’s Zuffenhausen works. The Daimler-Benz works in Sindelfingen were responsible for the paint finish and delivery. Production of the Mercedes-Benz 500 E kicked off in the spring of 1990. The sales success of the speedy GT saloon testified to the successful outcome of the collaboration: 10,479 units had been built by April 1995.

In the early 1990s, Porsche’s third-party client development department entered into a joint venture with Audi to develop a high-performance sport estate car, which caused a sensation. The Audi Avant RS2 unveiled in the autumn of 1993 came into being in Weissach based on the 315 hp (232 kW) variant of the all-wheel drive Audi Avant S2. This borrowed numerous Porsche components, such as for example wheel hubs, high-performance brakes and rims. Exterior parts such as fog lights and indicators as well as the exterior mirrors also came from the Porsche 911 of the then current 993 model series. The Audi Avant RS2 was built at Porsche’s Zuffenhausen works between October 1993 and July 1994. The “Porsche estate car in Audi clothing” – as “Auto Bild” magazine put it – enjoyed keen customer interest. The planned production run of 2000 vehicles was exceeded by 895 units.

In 2001, under the development name “Revolution Engine”, Porsche Engineering started work as a development partner on developing a new V2 engine for the American motorbike manufacturer Harley-Davidson’s “V-Rod” model. Against the backdrop of a collaborative relationship stretching back to the 1970s, Porsche engineers designed a water-cooled, 1131 cc power unit based on a racing engine which delighted discerning Harley-Davidson customers with its performance and engine sound in equal measure.

[x]

Harley Davidson V Rod

Into the future with tradition and innovation

Today, as in the past, Porsche Engineering is grappling with the engineering challenges of the future. Be it the conspicuous expertise in the electromobility arena that Porsche Engineering displayed in the Boxster E research project in 2011 or in the development of the Seabob production water sport sled, experience in the lightweight construction and downsizing arenas but also thinking outside the box with the development of a premium outdoor grill in 2008 – Porsche Engineering’s engineers dedicate themselves to each project with the same commitment to ultimate quality, innovative concepts and customised solutions.

Nowadays, all development projects for clients worldwide are controlled by the Porsche Engineering Group GmbH (PEG) founded in 2001 and headquartered in Weissach. Thanks to Porsche’s own distinctive development network, PEG is able to call on the services of its subsidiaries Porsche Engineering Services GmbH in Bietigheim and Porsche Engineering Services s.r.o. in Prague. By networking all its locations and sharing information closely between project teams, PEG offers interface competency and lateral thinking, ensuring that client projects are delivered consistently and productively and without a hitch.

The combined expertise of Porsche Engineering’s engineers and the comprehensive resources at the Weissach Development Centre’s disposal are behind innovative services to the highest quality standards.But the public only gets to see the tip of the iceberg. Thanks to draconian confidentiality, Porsche Engineering protects its clients’ product strategies and brand identities with the greatest care at all times. Only very few projects are known of, and only with the clients’ explicit consent. Because Porsche’s third-party client development will only succeed if a customer returns. This maxim prevails to this day – as it has for more than 80 years.

Credits: Porsche AG and Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0: Biggest 911 Engine Ever Offered

Power, efficiency, performance. Porsche has risen in every discipline. Porsche ambition is high, but the result clearly illustrates why they build sports cars – because there is only one direction: forwards.

ATLANTA – April 28, 2011 — The 911 GT3 RS, one of Porsche’s most popular, coveted and successful track-inspired production cars, has been given a final, thrilling injection of thoroughbred motorsport technology resulting in the 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0. Limited to 600 vehicles worldwide, the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 brings together in a sports car the attributes that have made the Porsche 911 GT3 a consistent winner on the race track.

The motorsport-derived 4.0-liter engine, already the highest displacement 911 engine ever, also features the highest per-liter output — 125 horsepower (hp) per liter — from a naturally aspirated Porsche flat-six engine.

The engine uses forged pistons, the connecting rods are fashioned from titanium, and the crankshaft has been lifted unchanged from the 911 GT3 RSR race car. It achieves its maximum power of 500 hp at 8,250 rpm. Maximum torque of 339 ft/lbs is reached at 5,750 rpm.

The 911 GT3 RS 4.0 offers truly impressive performance, lapping the famed Nürburgring-Nordschleife in 7 minutes and 27 seconds.

Available exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission, the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 sprints from 0 to 60 mph in only 3.8 seconds, and with its gearing designed for the race circuit it reaches the 124 mph mark on the race track in under 12 seconds. The 911 GT3 RS 4.0’s outstanding driving dynamics come from numerous, meticulously coordinated details. In addition to using suspension components typically encountered in motor racing, weight reduction is also of supreme importance.

Equipped as standard with lightweight components such as light but strong carbon fiber sport bucket seats, …………………..

[x]
[x]

…………….carbon fiber front fenders and luggage compartment lid, and weight-optimized carpets, the two-seater’s ready-for-action weight is just 2,998 lbs with a full fuel tank.

The 911 GT3 RS 4.0’s power-to-weight ratio is 5.99 lbs/hp. This limited edition 911 is painted Carrara White as standard and emphasizes its proximity to motor racing by its dynamic appearance.

Signature characteristics are the wide track, the low vehicle position, the large rear wing with side plates, central twin tailpipe, and the aerodynamically optimized body. Air deflection vanes mounted on either side of the front bumper – called ‘flics’ or dive planes – make their first appearance on a production Porsche. They create increased downforce on the front axle, and together with the steeply inclined rear wing, provide aerodynamics on par with its performance capabilities.

As a result, at the 193 mph top track speed, aerodynamic forces exert an additional 426 lbs of downforce, thus pushing the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 onto the road. With a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $185,000 (excluding destination), the new Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 goes on sale in the United States in late 2011.

Chris Harris has an exclusive interview with Andreas Preuninger about the new Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0. Read the full story at www.evo.co.uk

The UK list price is yet to be confirmed, but Porsche has advised that £128,000 is likely to be the figure. There are only 600 cars being built, and fewer than 50 will come to the UK.

____________________________________________________________________________________

About Porsche Cars North America Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

(PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga. is the exclusive U.S. importer of Porsche sports cars, the Cayenne SUV and Panamera Gran Turismo. Established in 1984, it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Porsche AG, which is headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, and employs approximately 220 people who provide parts, service, marketing and training for 196 dealers. They, in turn, work to provide Porsche customers a best-in-class experience that is in keeping with the brand’s 63-year history and leadership in the advancement of vehicle performance, safety and efficiency. At the core of this success is Porsche’s proud racing heritage that boasts some 30,000 motorsport wins to date. Note:

Photos by Porsche Press Database

For more information please visit http://www.porsche.com/rs

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

New York 2011: Facebook Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid is easy to ‘Like’

Photos copyright ©2011 Drew Phillips / AOL

To commemorate its social media milestone of surpassing one million fans on Facebook, Porsche has created this special edition of the 911 GT3 R Hybrid complete with the signatures of over 27,000 Porsche fans. The car makes its North American debut this week at the New York Auto Show before it goes on display inside the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Photos copyright ©2011 Drew Phillips / AOL

Porsche’s hybrid racer develops 480 hp from its 4.0-litre flat-six engine and is matched with two 80-hp electric motors. The German automaker recently tested the hybrid system’s capability during the 2010 24 Hours of Nürburgring, and Porsche firmly believes that hybrid performance cars like this foreshadow the future of racing.

Thank you – A 1,000,000 times – Porsche

Porsche has achieved yet another milestone, the fastest 1,000,000 facebook fans in automotive history! This is the gift Porsche had prepared for their Facebook fans.

Porsche currently has over 1,504,488 fans on Facebook.

Credits: SOURCE


 

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche – The legendary designer of the Porsche 911 turns 75

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche – The legendary designer of the Porsche 911 turns 75

Stuttgart. Professor Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, Honorary Chair of the Supervisory Board of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, celebrated his 75th birthday on 11 December 2010. As a designer of true genius, F.A. Porsche was the creator of such legendary automobiles as the 904 Carrera GTS, or the Porsche 911. After stepping down from the management of Porsche KG, in 1972 he founded the “Porsche Design“ Studio, and achieved worldwide fame and recognition as an independent product designer.

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche was born on 11 December 1935 in Stuttgart, the eldest son of Dorothea and Ferry Porsche. As a child his world was already being influenced by automobiles, with him spending a lot of time in the design offices and development workshops of his grandfather Ferdinand Porsche. In 1943 the family, together with the company of Porsche, relocated to Austria, where he went to school in Zell am See. After returning to Stuttgart in 1950, he passed the final school examination, the “Abitur”, at the Waldorf School, and registered at the College of Design in Ulm. In 1958 F.A. Porsche joined the design department of what was at that time Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche KG.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

]

His talent for design very soon became apparent when, with the Type 754 “T7“, he formally presented to the world the direction which was to be followed in the succession to the 356 Series. In 1962 he took charge of the management of the Porsche Design Studio, and one year later took the world by storm with the Porsche 901 (also referred to as the 911). As well as passenger cars, F.A. Porsche was also deeply involved in the design of the racing cars of the 1960’s. Among his most famous designs were the Formula One Type 804 racer, or the Porsche 904 Carrera GTS, which motoring fans have always regarded as one of the finest and most beautiful racing vehicles ever made.

With the conversion of Porsche KG into a share company in 1971/72, F.A. Porsche and all the other family members stepped aside from the operational business of the company. As a shareholder and member of the Supervisory Board, he oversaw the development of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG for many years, and from 1990 to 1993 he served as the Chair of the Supervisory Board. In 2005 he passed the mantle of responsibility as a Porsche AG Supervisory Board member to his son Oliver, and took on the position of Honorary Chair of the Board.

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche founded the “Porsche Design Studio“ in Stuttgart in 1972, the headquarters being relocated to Zell am See in Austria in 1974. Over the decades which followed he designed a wide range of classic men’s accessories, such as watches, spectacles, and writing implements, which achieved worldwide fame under the brand name “Porsche Design“. In parallel with this, he and his team, using the trademark “Design by F.A. Porsche“, created a large number of industrial products, domestic appliances, and consumer goods for internationally famous clients. Ferdinand Alexander Porsche has been acclaimed for his work as a designer by the bestowing of many honors and awards.

In autumn 2003 F.A. Porsche and the other shareholders of “Porsche Design“, together with Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, founded the Porsche Lizenz- und Handelsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG (PLH, Porsche License and Trading Company). The aim of this company is to make best use of the potential of the name Porsche in sectors which go beyond the automobile. The focus here is on the trademark “Porsche Design“, which in recent years has developed to become one of the world’s leading brand names in luxury articles, with its own marketing network.

12/7/2010

Photo credits: Porsche AG

[Source: Porsche]

In the video at the age of 70 in 2005 on the Austrian highest mountain the GROSSGLOCKER, celebrating his birthday. Now celebrating his 75th birthday December 11th, 2010.  Happy Birthday!! …Ferdinand Alexander Porsche …”Butzi”

 
3 Comments

Posted by on December 11, 2010 in Ferdinand Alexander Porsche

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

 
%d bloggers like this: